We made and sent out our save the dates. And they’re quite lovely, if I do say so myself!

Busy morning making save the dates in the Boyle-Pennington household! #literarywedding #bookish #wedding #library

A photo posted by Mandy Boyle (@mandyboyle_) on

When we started the journey of wedding planning, we were on the fence as to whether or not we wanted to even do save the dates. The desire to use library cards in some fashion was just too great.

To make these puppies, we started by gathering up library cards and sleeves. Luckily, Brent’s mom volunteers at a school library and was able to rescue these from the trash.

Next, we scanned the library card and created a template in Open Office (can I get a hell yeah for open source tech?!). Brent had the patience to do this. I did not.

Then, we found a typewriter-ish font that could work and started populating the template. When we were happy with the details, we printed them on a borrowed inkjet printer (thanks, Paul!) and got to pasting those sleeves on index cards.

But the hardest part of save the dates – and so far the mot stressful thing in wedding planning I’ve encountered – was getting everyone’s addresses.

Holy moly. Next to narrowing down the guest list (more on that in another post), this has been the toughest thing to get done. Even now, I still have a few address labels that are empty as we’re trying to track down updated address information (and in some cases, any contact information at all!).

The next big project is to start with the invitations. We have some designs we like picked out and the big question now is whether or not we’re going to try designing it ourselves or using some sort of template. Time will tell :)